Getting started with email marketing is a pretty simple process. Yes, it requires knowing the basics and why you’re emailing your audience in the first place. But once you’ve got the basics of email marketing down, all you need are the tools, type of emails you want to send, and a strategy. This guide will help you do all of that, so let’s get started.
The Basics of Email Marketing
What is email marketing?
Email marketing is used as a way to educate, connect, and sell directly to potential buyers through email. It’s truly that simple. Email marketing is crucial for online selling because, fortunately, you have direct access to anyone who opts into your mailing list. Instead of relying on Twitter and Facebook for sales (where your message is easy to get lost in), emailing directly to your audience is one way to educate them and ask for the sale right within their inbox.
The benefits of email marketing (and things to watch out for!)
There are many benefits of email marketing, like help you gain trust with your audience, educate your audience, and increase your sales. Here are some other things you can expect when using email marketing as part of your marketing efforts, plus a couple things to watch out for:
- Ability to connect directly with your audience
- Increased sales through direct selling
- Full control over the marketing messages
- Fits into over content, marketing, and sales strategy
- Boosts your website’s traffic
- Educates your audience on your product and keeps your business top of time
- Higher engagement rate than fast moving social media
- Watch for spamming: Be sure to only send high-value content and information. The more spam-like content sent, the lower your open rate.
- Enable an opt-in: Only add subscribers to email that opted for it. Adding email addresses without consent to an email list is illegal. The best way to collect email address is by creating a high-value opt-in.
Why knowing your ideal audience matters
It’s difficult to create high-value content if you don’t know who your ideal audience is. Knowing your ideal audience is truly the best way to formulate your email marketing strategy. By outlining who exactly benefits from your email marketing, creating campaigns is much easier to manage and you never run out of ideas.
Why email marketing is an important aspect of your online marketing strategy
Although social media marketing can be an asset to your online marketing strategy, email marketing should really be at the top of the list. As they say, email is king (still!). It’s the easiest way to reach your audience and it’s all within your control.
And now that Facebook admitted that ads are crucial for reaching your community, email marketing is more important than ever. Start working today to move any social media followers to your email list. Since your Facebook community isn’t going to see as much of your content over time without you paying for it, then best thing to do is tell them and ask them to join your email list.
What tools you can use
Before you can start collecting email addresses, you’ll want to sign up for an email marketing account. At Selz, we use Mailchimp and love it. There is a handful of other email marketing tools, which all vary, depending on what you expect to use email marketing for, how big your audience is, and your business needs.
The three free integrations we offer with Selz are:
This means as you sell products or give away content for free, you can collect email addresses at the same time. If those options don’t strike your fancy, there are other options like:
What type of email marketing emails you can send
There are countless ways to educate your audience and ask for the sale. Here are a few of our favorites:
- Simple sales emails:
- Transformations and Before + After Images:
- Share your next live event or talk:
Where to begin with your email strategy
If you are just getting started with email marketing, sign up for an account with Mailchimp. It’s free and grows with you as your business grows. The free plan comes with 2,000 subscribers and 12,000 emails per month. Here are some other ideas for getting started with email marketing:
- Determine how email marketing fits into your existing content marketing strategy: How are you hoping to grow your email list? What are you wanting to teach your ideal audience? Create a SMART goal for the next month.
- Consider your ideal audience. What do they want to hear from you? How often do they want to hear from you? How does your email marketing strategy fit into your sales goals? You’ll want to figure out how to educate your audience while also asking for the sale.
- Install our free Mailchimp app to your Selz account. Export all customers to Mailchimp either as sales are made or export past customers in a click.
- Add your Selz products to your existing blog’s sidebar and blog posts.
Now that you’ve got the basics of what email marketing is, the benefits of it (and how not to use it!), suggested tools, and email marketing examples, it’s time to put it into action. If you haven’t already, now is the time to set up your email marketing account and map out your strategy.
What are some of your email marketing goals for the next month? Leave us a comment below.