In this third post in the series on selling on Facebook, we take a look at Facebook Groups, and how they can add an additional layer to your social selling through building a community.
Selling on Facebook: Building a Facebook Group
Building your own Facebook Group is an incredibly effective way to develop an engaged customer base, interested in hearing more about what you’re selling on Facebook, and beyond.
To get started, simply log into Facebook, and take a look at the sidebar on the left hand side. Go straight to the bottom and click “Create Group”. Then fill in all the required fields.
I’d recommend “branding up” your group wherever possible. This means:
Naming it something that pairs with any other digital channels you use.
Writing a description that includes your brand keywords, so customers will find your group when searching for your zone of genius.
Designing an attractive, on-brand graphic for the group header. I’d recommend using Canva for this – it’s free, and they have a selection of pre-sized templates that are super easy to customise.
Before you start welcoming members to the group, think about the types of content you’re planning to share in your group. I’d suggest sticking to the 80/20 rule here. That means 80% of the content should be value-driven discussions or curated content, and the other 20% should be promoting the offers you’re selling on Facebook.
Image via Facebook Newsroom
For my Facebook Group, Blow up the Blueprint, I’ve devised a content plan. I have days where I regularly start discussions, days when I offer no-strings support for free, days when I offer value live, and days where I share my latest offer. Once you have your content flow roughly mapped out, it’s time to start building that community.
Look at where you’re already present.
Think about the other platforms where you already have a presence, and think about how you can weave in a link to your new Facebook Group:
Use “join the community” as your call-to-action beneath every blog post.
Add a link to your group in your bio on other platforms, and schedule regular updates promoting it. I like to use Buffer for this.
Include a link to your group in the shownotes of your podcast or Youtube videos.
Add a “join the group” postscript to your regular email newsletters.
Share a link in the promo threads in any other Facebook groups you’re a part of, just make sure you’re not violating any group rules in the process.
From selling elsewhere, to selling on Facebook
If you’re already working with someone, or you’ve already sold them something, send them a personal invitation to your Facebook group. You know these people will be interested in what you’re selling, because they’ve already proven themselves.
Going forward, add a link to your Facebook group to any invoices, receipts and delivery notes you issue. If somebody’s bought from you once, they’re much more likely to do it again.
Hit up your connections
Reach out to your business buddies and brand ambassadors – those people who have already shown their support and interest in some way. Ask if they’d like to join the community, and ask if they know anybody else who would be see some value in what you’re offering.
Image via Storify
Just remember the most important rule of all – never, ever add someone to your group without their permission. It may build your group quickly, but it’s icky, it’s a turn off, and it will not fill your group with people actually interested in what you’re selling on Facebook.
Before you know it, you’ll have a crowd of eager, engaged members ready to buy whatever it is you’re offering to the world.
In Part 4 we will be looking at Facebook Events, and how you can use them to build a buzz around the products you’re selling on Facebook.