We all want to feel fit and healthy, but we often need some extra direction. Between busy schedules, feelings of inadequacy next to bodybuilders at the gym, and generally struggling to make space for a new health journey, many people are looking for extra direction when it comes to fitness.
Getting started, staying motivated, and working toward more difficult fitness goals are all hard, which is where personal trainers come in. Good news: the internet has made it easier than ever to sell services online and get the word out about your product. Ready to sell workout plans online? You’ve come to the right place. Read on for four steps to get you started today.
4 Steps to Sell Workout Plans Online
Build a Following
Create and Sell Workout Plans Online
Continue To Grow
This article will help you find the best way to start an online personal training business; or if you already sell workout plans online, how to increase your sales and grow your business.
1. Build a Following
Most people can’t just pop up on the fitness scene and expect customers to start buying from you. They don’t know you, especially if you are competing with a celebrity or a popular fitness guru, so spend time building up a persona and audience through social media and blogging. Detail how you workout day to day, show what your motivations are, and show how easy it would be for people to incorporate your online workout plan into their daily lives.
Start with social media: use Instagram and another picture-dominated social media platform to promote yourself. Have a daily post or a few of them on each of these platforms. A great idea to get content out there each day is to have a theme for the day and a workout plan to go with it.
Another good theme for the day is a “Cheat Day” because everyone connects to slacking off a bit! Show how you beat your cheat day by doing a workout plan during a movie, or exercises that can be done from a couch.
Working out is difficult, sweaty, and often involves some personal discomfort. Your photos should show the reality. That doesn’t mean you can’t also make it fun and slightly glamorous- you’re still pitching a road to a better quality of life.
When your following groans and empathizes with the struggle, start pitching your personal training services in your posts. This is a great way to direct targeted traffic to your site where you sell workout plans online.
2. Create and Sell Workout Plans Online
Alright, now it’s time to build your website to sell workout plans online You will need your own website to showcase your workout plans and videos, to detail your healthy, fit lifestyle, and to sell your products!
Use an Ecommerce platform to showcase your healthy lifestyle and sell workout plans online at the same time. Make sure to add a blog to your online store so you can build your credibility and authority to potential customers.
Here are some things to add to your website:
- Teasers: Show snippets of your workout plans on your website to entice people to buy.
- Before and after pictures: Ask customers to submit their progress in photos or videos to display on your site. If you’re going to sell workout plans online, you want to show potential buyers that they work!
- The workout plans: Make sure to have a simple buying process for your customers. If you’re wondering what format to sell workout plans online, typically creating digital downloads (like Ebooks) is a great way to immediately deliver your products. Make sure your store has great product images and descriptions that entice people to buy. Ensure you test your checkout process so you know when someone hits the coveted “buy” button, they are getting their plan immediately.
- What the plans include: By showing potential buyers what the whole program will look like for them, without giving away the entire thing, customers will be comforted by knowing exactly what they are purchasing. That way, no one is upset with the purchase, so your feedback is going to be positive and supportive, which will build your credibility and increase your customer base.
- Equipment needed: Make sure to clearly state what equipment your clients will need to do their workouts! This is a great way to make sure you’re selling the right plans to the right clients.
Here’s a great example of a plan-list page from SuzieBFitness:
- Reviews from happy clients: Show evidence of you supporting and training your customers into their successful fitness stories. Testimonials help to emphasize your role in your customer’s transformations. They’re a great way to turn an interested consumer into a paying customer.
- Your personality: The first thing anyone looking to buy your workout plans online is going to want to see is your results, but you need to show them the journey it took to get there. For one thing, they will want to see how fit you personally are. This matters in a “practice what you preach” sort of way, but potential customers will also want to see how other people who already invested in your training are doing.
- Videos: Another aspect of your website should be videos. People can usually follow a workout plan made up of pictographs of the exercises used in your workouts, but videos where your customers can actually see the motions are much easier to follow. Use YouTube to showcase your workout plans, showing how supportive your personal training is to your customers, and how fast their fitness results are with your online workout plan.
- Blog: I mentioned this before, but adding a blog to your online store is a great way to bring in new customers (and help your current clients). Your blog should have some information on healthy eating and general practices you do to stay fit. Have a list of motivational quotes or a link to some great healthy eating recipes. If you are going to sell workout plans online, it’s great to include snippets of the lifestyle you follow.
Again, connections to your customers and to potential customers will really help sell workout plans online. Continue to grow and increase the number of workout plans you offer to keep your current customers growing with you!
3. Market Yourself
Wait, isn’t social media my marketing strategy here? Yes, to a large extent social media is really the best way to connect with people as you start to sell workout plans online. However, you do need to increase your coverage to get more customers, so having a marketing strategy never hurts!
Most people looking to purchase workout plans online are looking for professional help, without the cost of hiring an in-person trainer. These people also probably want to target something specific, such as weight loss, gaining muscle, or simply feeling more confident. Finding a niche to sell your workout plans online is key to getting finding more customers.
Here are some helpful resources to flesh out your marketing plan (click on each to read more):
- Email Marketing
- Social Media:
- Paid Advertising
A good way to increase personal training sales by offering season specific workout plans for these types of people, or you can target a specific area and work with that. Selling seasonal workout plans means you need to be very proactive in marketing yourself. By January, you should be working on selling swimsuit season workouts, by June selling outdoor workout plans and by September it’s getting into shape before the holidays.
If people are feeling insecure about being out of shape, give them an easy startup and walk them through it gently. No one wants to feel insecure about his or her fitness level, so make sure you sell workout plans online that will fit their needs.
If you’re going to sell workout plans online, it’s important to offer additional assistance to your clients. Allow your clients to contact you personally with questions or concerns. Go above the plan and offer nutrition assistance to people who need it. People are more inclined to purchase your workout plans if they feel they are receiving something more than a PDF download!
4. Continue To Grow
If you’re going to sell workout plans online, increasing personal training sales can be done if you become an authority for a specific niche. Could you become the #1 virtual trainer for pregnant women? What about busy moms with no time to go to the gym? Use some of the marketing strategies listed above to get started, but don’t stop once you have one online workout plan completed.
The key to continued success and increased online personal training sales is to keep evolving your products. Offer different levels or tiers of training, so customers will have new and exciting levels of fitness to achieve. This will keep them coming back for more.
Continuing to grow also gives you credibility to attract new customers and grow your online business even further. All it takes for a personal trainer to start an online business is to build up some great workouts, develop a social media presence, create a website with your workout plans, and start collecting a profit!