Anything to save time and energy is like gold for an entrepreneur like you. You’re already managing clients, customers, workshops, and your blog while maintaining your marketing efforts, too.
We’ve put together over 100+ (mostly) free resources to help you sell online. From visual content to design, blogging, writing and editing to SEO, marketing, legal, and must-read books and blogs, there’s something here for everyone.
Take a gander through our list and be sure to bookmark this page. We’ll be updating it regularly!
Design + Images
- Canva is a free cloud-based design tool. Use it to mock up your Ebook cover or to create your social media marketing designs. Canva is truly endless in the value it provides.
- Unsplash uploads 10 high-resolution photos every 10 days, which can be used for anything. Any images downloaded on Unsplash can be uploaded to Canva to create a custom Ebook cover or marketing designs.
- Gratisography is another free image site, boasting beautiful and edited designs. All images are free to use in any commercial project.
- PicJumbo provides totally free images for commercial and personal works.
- Dollar Photo Club: [Update March 2016]: Dollar Photo Club is closing for good on April 15, 2016.
- PhotoPin lets you search thousands of images from Flickr with a Creative Commons license.
- All The Free Stock includes not only images but also includes stock videos.
- Jay Mantri provides beautiful travel images.
- Meme Generator for when an image isn’t enough.
- Move East provides images from a Portuguese guys’ travels.
- Travel Coffee Book is full of gorgeous images.
- Mazwai: free HD videos and clips.
- Paul Jarvis is awesome and provides 20 free hi-res images for you to use however you please.
- Skitch from Evernote helps you get your point across with fewer words. We use Skitch for our Support site.
Image Optimization Resources
- TinyJPG or TinyPNG compress your images for you.
- Compressor.io optimizes and compresses your images online.
- Smush.it is an image optimizer WordPress plugin.
- WordPress.com and WordPress.org provide free websites.
- Medium curates stories and ideas.
- Quora is a great resource for finding blogging ideas.
- Portent Title Maker helps you come up with funny and engaging title makers. Refresh the ideas as often as you like until you hit one that you can run with.
- Quick Sprout shows you how your website is doing in terms of shares, SEO, and speed. Great for checking on your site’s performance.
- Dropbox is great for stockpiling your ideas. Since Dropbox is in the cloud and can sync with any device, you can have your ideas on the road with you and access them as long as you have an internet connection.
- Google Docs helps you collaborate with other bloggers or people on your team. Edit your post at the same time.
- ZenPen is a cloud-based editing tool.
- Buzzsumo analyzes what content performs best for any topic or competitor.
- Disqus: helps you build a community of active readers and commenters on your blog.
Writing And Editing
- Grammarly helps you write better by catching grammatical errors that Word can’t. Since Grammarly is installed to your browser, it helps your writing be better across all channels, whether you’re writing a blog post or an email campaign.
- Evernote is a cloud-based workspace to write notes, to-do lists, and drafts. I love it for brain dumping any and all of my ideas! Capture quotes and ideas, too.
- Scrivener is a tool for helping you finish your first awkward draft of any long, difficult document.
- Hemingway App helps make your writing bold and clear. We use this tool all the time with blog posts, guides, and even emails. What I appreciate the most about the Hemingway App is that you improve your writing every time you use it.
- Open Site Explorer is a rad tool for link analysis.
- WordPress SEO by Yoast gives you training wheels and a score for your blog post or page’s SEO on WordPress.org website.
- SEO Checkup: See how your SEO is doing for free.
- Google for the win. Use their Analytics, Keyword Planner, Webmaster Tools, and Trends.
- Find Broken Links on your website.
Business and Marketing
- Free Squarespace logo design: simple logo design made on the web.
- Logaster helps you create a logo for free.
- Strikingly gives you free, mobile-optimized websites. These are great for side projects, retreats, and programs.
- Hipster Logo Generator. The name says it all.
- Withoomph creates sweet logos for free. Then, download them for anywhere between $30-$75.
Name Your Thing
- The Name App generates potential names for your next business or project.
- Wordoid helps you come up with made up names for a unique twist on your business or project.
- Mailchimp helps you send better email. Up to 2,000 subscribers + 12,000 emails / mo for free!
- Campaign Monitor provides elegantly simple email.
- AWeber helps you create relationships that last via email.
- Madmimi: Simple lovely email.
- Hello Bar helps you get more email subscribers.
- Boomerang for Gmail: Schedule an email to be sent later.
Social Media Tools
Social Media Scheduling Tools
- Buffer‘s free plan lets you schedule your social media across the channels of your choosing.
- Hootsuite helps you get serious about social.
- Latergram schedules your Instagram posts for later.
Social Media Advertising and Marketing Tools
- Facebook Ads help target specific audiences for reading blog posts, visiting your website, and signing up for your newsletter.
- Twitter Ads: Promote your products and website on Twitter by targeting specific accounts.
- Instagram Ads: Open only to large businesses, Instagram ads are something to keep on your radar for the future. More on Insta ads here.
- Click To Tweet helps you get more shares on your content.
- Trello: Flexible and visual way to organize anything with anyone.
- Sunrise Calendar: Integrates Google Calendar, Trello boards,
- Pomodoro Technique is a common strategy for productivity, especially in the world of modern entrepreneurs working for themselves. We all want to do more with less time and this technique can help you do that.
- Egg Timer is a free cloud-based tool that can work together with the Pomodoro Technique. Choose how long you want to set the timer for and click go.
- Time Out Free for Mac is a Mac application to provide micro-breaks. Taking breaks throughout your day has been shown to increase creativity. For the sake of your Ebook, please give yourself some time to break off from it. You will come back to your writing refreshed and your Ebook will be better for it.
- Coffitivity provides coffee shop ambiance without having to leave your home. If background noise helps you be more productive, Coffitivity will work wonders for you.
- Noisli: Mix different background noises for productivity.
- Noizio: Block out the noise with nature sounds.
- Marie Forleo
- Chris Brogan
- Smart Passive Income
- Chris Ducker
- Gary Vaynerchuk
- Amy Porterfield
- Michael Hyatt
- Tara Gentile
- by Regina
- The Nectar Collective
- The Collative
Writing & Copywriting Blogs
- Alexandra Franzen is a writer who offers up solid and actionable advice for naming your products, 88 ideas for blog posts, and inspiring you to be an unstoppable writer. Everything on her blog is fantastic.
- The Middle Finger Project blog guides you on a copywriting quest to make money online. Sarcastic, witty, and full of curse words, TMF Project is filled with kick-in-the-pants inspiration and actionable advice.
Marketing And Social Media Blogs
Legal & Finance
- The Unconventional Guide to Law & Order by Chris Guillebeau
- Small Business Administration
- NOLO: Law for all.
- Bookkeeping 101
Must-Read Modern Entrepreneur Books
- $100 Startup by Chris Guillebeau. Read our review here.
- Rework by Jason Fried and David Heinemeier Hanson. Read our review here.
- 4-Hour Work Week by Tim Ferriss. Read our review here.
- The Lean Startup by Eric Ries. Read our review here.
- Blogging The Smart Way by Jeff Bullas. Read our review here.
- Think Like A Rock Star by Mack Collier. Read our review here.
- The Small Army Strategy by Srinivas Rao. Read our review here.
- Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk. Read our review here.
- Secrets for Blogging Your Way To A Six-Figure Income by Darren Rowse and Chris Garrett
- The Art of the Start by Guy Kawasaki. Read our review here.
Are there any other resources to help you sell online that you’d like to add to our list? Leave ’em in the comments below. Be sure to bookmark this page as we will be updating it regularly.