Crush It by Gary Vaynerchuk
Crush It is the first of our ebooks as part of our challenge to read 10 ebooks on startups and entrepreneurs in 10 weeks before the end of 2013.
Crush It is a book for anyone who has a hobby that they wish they could make a living from.
As you know this is a subject close to our heart. We’re passionate about making it easier for online entrepreneurs to make a living from doing what they love – you can see why Gary’s Crush It was at the top of our list of books to read.
Gary Vaynerchuk is a bestselling author, social media expert, and wine expert who grew his business Winelibrary.com from $3 million to $45 million. Gary’s speech at Web 2.0 Expo in 2007 was the catalyst behind his entrepreneur writing, “By the time I got off stage, I had four separate emails from publishers offering me a book deal”. Gary Vaynerchuk as of 22nd Oct 2012 has just over 1 million Twitter followers and over 142,000 Facebook Likes.
Our 7 takeways from Crush It
- Passion – Crush it is all about passion. Passion is what gives you the drive to work hard and to succeed. “Passion is contagious”
- Happiness – Happiness comes from doing what you’re passion about. Love what you do and do what you love is the philosophy of Crush It
- Hustle It – Any topic can be turned into a profitable, sustainable, social media driven business. Be prepared to work hard, to care, and it won’t happen overnight.
- Be Real – Be yourself, be authentic, and don’t try to be someone else. You are a brand. People buy people. As Gary explains, “I’m loud, I’m over the top, I’m hyper. But I am who I am. I’m for real, and overall people like that.”
- Creating Community – Any subject on the planet has its own internet trench, or community of similar passionate people. Use the lure and the lasso. The lure is creating great original content. The Lasso is commenting on other people’s content and joining in existing conversations. Chapter 10 has the detailed tips on how to start to build an audience.
- Monetize – Don’t try to monetize until you have a sticky brand and your audience has made your content a regular habitat. Where people go, the money follows. Monetize options include advertising, speaking engagements, affiliate programs, and sell your own work or expertise e.g. ebooks.
- Presentation is important – this is the one thing Gary recommends spending money on getting a professional designer to make your site look attractive. “If the store doesn’t look nice its not going to convert”
Crush It is a must read for any aspiring online entrepreneur. This might sound a bit cheesy, but it’s very motivating, you’ll quickly feel empowered with a “yes we can” attitude when you read it, and you’ll want to drop everything and get started there and then.
Gary’s philosophy is that happiness is following your passion, irrespective of how much hard work it is. Crush It covers some of the basic concepts on how to build your personal brand and audience around a niche, as well covering suggestions on how to monetize it. It is not a detail A-Z workbook that tells you exactly how to use the different social media, but it does cover the basic concepts. If you’re looking for inspiration, give Crush It a go.
If you’ve read Crush It, leave us a comment telling us what your takeaway from the book was. We’d love to hear what you thoughts about it or what you took away from the book.
See the other 9 ebooks in our list of 10 must read entrepreneur and startup ebooks to read for 2013